9.23.2009

Frozen yogurt



For me, today was overall a pretty good day.  For Brandon...not so good.  He was a not-so-hot mess today with problems all over the place.  I actually felt bad for the guy and treated him to some delicious yogurt-a-go-go.  I think he was happy about it even though this picture looks like he's holding in a fart.


Since I've started physical therapy I've noticed a pretty distinct "catch" in my knee during my daily exercises.  This morning it was most noticeable when I was laying in bed.  I was lying on my side in a fetal type position and I rolled over onto my back.  As I rolled over, I streeeeeeeeeeetched my leg out and about 2/3's of the way through it my knee locked up.  Once the pain hit I remembered familiar feeling and I knew exactly how to fix it.  I re-bent my knee back up and then slowly straightened it again.  This time it didn't catch and even though it has caught a couple more times today not once has it been as painful as this morning.


I called the doctor to see if I needed to get in and be seen sooner rather than later.  Once I talked to him, he basically said there is no way to tell exactly what is going on inside my knee unless they go back in arthoscopically, which obviously isn't an option at this stage of my recovery.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't need another one ever, but only time can tell with that.  The doc said an x-ray is useless since it's a cartilage repair and the parts that we need to look at are invisible to an x-ray.  When I asked about an MRI he said the scar tissue and meniscus in my knee is so convoluted that it too is virtually useless.  


The doc said for now, I can start on my 50% weight bearing activities, as long as the exercises don't involve bending of the knee and weight bearing at the same time.  Apparently that is something I will need to work up to after the first week or so, depending on how comfortable I feel and if I think my knee can handle it.  I'll be in the pool tomorrow for physical therapy and I think Alissa is going to show me how to get into the gym at one of our stations so I can use the stationary bike there on the days I'm not at physical therapy.


I keep worrying I will need another surgery.  I keep having dreams about the same thing.  I'm crossing my fingers and trying to keep that PMA, but it's not easy when you've got all the time in the world to sit around and think.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Think about other, more fun type things. :) Ouchies!



p.s. let's hear more about Brandon! That's what we're all here for anyway! j/k